This page has moved to a new address.

How To: Yarn Doll Hair

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration: How To: Yarn Doll Hair

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration

Thursday 11 August 2011

How To: Yarn Doll Hair

I thought I'd share my little impromptu project to upgrade Emma's doll Memma, who was badly in need of a new hairstyle and sadly a little bit neglected. Emma loves Jemima from Play School and I had some dark brown yarn lying about that would be ideally suited to a Jemima hair style.

It didn't take very long at all and I used this tutorial as a guide, but modified it so I didn't have to use a sewing machine. Details below:
1. I wrapped the yarn around a large book to create an even layer of yarn.
2. I used a crochet hook and with some extra yarn crocheted a tight slip stitch across the centre to create a part and hold the strands together, did this on the top and bottom of the book then cut the ends.
3. I securely hand sewed along the centre part on to the scalp
4. Styled the yarn hair in to pony tails and tied them off with yarn, then stitched the ponytails in place to secure the hairstyle.

Memma has been renamed Jemima and is getting is getting lots of cuddles, that's a crafting win in my eyes. Now I have to to something about her awfully garish wardrobe...

Labels: ,